Agricultural Development Officer – NEFERTITI and NEWBIE Projects
Competition Type: Temporary
Externally Funded Non Grant-in-Aid contract post. The post has an indicative duration of 40 months, subject to contract. Both projects are due to end on 31st December 2021.
A panel may be formed from which future open publicly advertised
permanent or temporary vacancies may be filled; such a panel will
remain active for a maximum period of 12 months.
Location: Teagasc, Animal & Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Moorepark,
Fermoy, Co. Cork.
Reporting To: Head of Dairy Knowledge Transfer, Teagasc or other nominated manager as maybe identified from time to time.
Grade/Salary: Basic Function: ADO Grade 1 with a starting salary of €33,056 per annum. The current salary scale is €33,056 to €64,337.
Starting pay will be at the minimum of the scale per Government Circular E100/8/82. Exceptional circumstances may apply for candidates with current or previous service in the public sector (including Teagasc).
Remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government Policy.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the delivery of Teagasc activities and commitments under the NEFERTITI and NEWBIE projects. S/he will work within the communities of both the NEFERTITI and NEWBIE EU Horizon 2020 project consortia, involving approx. 25 partners.
The successful candidate will conduct those activities as specified within each project, incl. case studies, demonstration events and networking activities.
Background: The NEFERTITI project is an inter-disciplinary, multi-actor project with an overall objective to establish an EU-wide highly connected network of well-specified demonstration and pilot farms, which is designed to enhance thematic knowledge exchanges, cross fertilisation among actors and efficient innovation uptake in the farming sector through peer-to-peer demonstration of techniques.
The NEWBIE project is also an inter-disciplinary and multi-actor project with partners from 10 participating countries from the EU. The objective of the project is to establish a European network of new entrants to farming and to highlight the method of entry and the business models they use as farmers. Each partner country will establish 10 case studies as well as to create discussion groups in this area.
This is a knowledge transfer focused role, which will provide advisers with the opportunity to develop their knowledge transfer skills and competencies. In addition, both projects will provide opportunities to travel to other EU countries both to interact with project colleagues and to participate in project cross-visits.
The adviser will, while working in conjunction with Teagasc colleagues, gain experience in a variety of areas including: collaboration activities with national and international stakeholders, project management, communications incl. presentation of findings and results and report writing.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead the delivery of both the NEFERTITI and NEWBIE projects, while collaborating with relevant Teagasc colleagues, demonstration farmers, farmers and other stakeholders.
• Work closely with Teagasc colleagues to ensure effective integration between research, advisory and training services to develop and communicate appropriate messages around demonstration farms (NEFERTITI), farm succession (NEWBIE) and networks (both projects).
• Undertake high quality desk-studies and field work (as required under both projects).
• Analyse data and write-up findings for publication.
• Represent Teagasc and form part of an inter-disciplinary and multi-professional team (NEFERTITI and NEWBIE) and liaise directly with stakeholders and policymakers with an interest in both projects.
• Liaise with Teagasc colleagues to ensure delivery of the requirements of both NEFERTITI and NEWBIE projects.
• Present and disseminate findings to a variety of audiences, including at conferences and farming events and through relevant publications.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and action plan.
• Comply with all relevant Teagasc policies and procedures.
• Actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
• Fully co-operate with the provisions for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of oneself, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
• Assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and action plan through adherence to best practice protocols.
• Such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
This Job Specification is neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be reviewed from time to time with the post-holder.
Note: The ‘essential’ qualifications, knowledge, skills and behavioural competencies outlined below are ‘must-have’ which will be used in the selection process.
QUALIFICATIONS • ESSENTIAL: QQI Level 8 Degree in Agricultural Science or other relevant Level 8 qualification. DESIRABLE: • Relevant post-graduate qualification (Masters or PhD).• Relevant work experience in advisory service role.
KNOWLEDGE • ESSENTIAL: Knowledge of Irish agricultural farming systems.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) adaptable to various audiences and media types.
• Ability to work within a team environment, including experience of collaboration with multiple partners.
• Computer literate, with proficiency in the use of MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• A proven ability to deliver high quality work, on-time.
• Recognised networking/ relationship building skills.
• Excellent analytical skills.
DESIRABLE: • Experience of organising, supporting and facilitating demonstration activities/ events.
• Facilitation skills, including experience of working with groups, stakeholders or within networks.
• Evidence of previous publications.
• Knowledge of analytical software packages.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES ESSENTIAL: • Is results-driven with a strong focus on goal-setting, performance delivery and accountability.
• Good record of achievement in previous work.
• Ability to work independently, and meet self-imposed milestones and deliverables.
• Builds relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
• Takes responsibility for personal development; always tries to improve.
• Demonstrates a willingness to be innovative in terms of the development of improved products or services.
OTHER ESSENTIAL: • Candidates must satisfy and continue to satisfy during employment with Teagasc, legal requirements to drive unaccompanied on Irish public roads.
How to Apply
An application form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc Website at www.teagasc.ie/careers
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 noon on Thursday 19th July 2018. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence. Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer.
Canvassing will disqualify.