Agricultural Student Development Officer
Who we are
Macra na Feirme is a vibrant national voluntary organisation for young people between the ages of 17 and 35. The organisation consists of a nationwide network of clubs with six key areas of activity: agriculture, sport, travel, public speaking, performing arts and community involvement. Macra na Feirme is committed to the personal development of members and puts emphasis on social interaction and participation. One of Macra’s main aims is to help young farmers get established in farming and assist them through learning and skills development.
Macra na Feirme’s mission is to contribute to the sustainable development of rural communities in Ireland by supporting the social, economic, cultural, personal development and well-being of young people who have a rural connection including young farmers, by representing their interests in the development of relevant policies, programmes and services at National, Regional, and local levels and by advocating on their behalf.
The objective of the newly created role of the Macra na Feirme Agricultural Student Development Officer is to drive and develop Macra na Feirme’s presence in Agricultural colleges, while supporting Teagasc and other staff to develop the offering to students You will be responsible for recruiting students into Macra na Feirme and developing a program offering through the Macra na Feirme club model. The aim is to integrate students into the organisation, give them first hand experience of skills around teamwork, lobbying, advocacy, organisational structures and help develop future leaders for the Agricultural sector. Working with Macra na Feirme, you will be part of an energetic, team that thrives on teamwork and success.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
The Agricultural Student Development officer is responsible for recruiting agricultural students into Macra na Feirme. They will be responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing Macra na Feirme’s program of activities in Agricultural colleges and additional third level colleges as required. They will also play a key role in linking agricultural students with existing Macra na Feirme clubs and Young Farmer Development Groups. The ideal candidate may have experience in either training and development of young people, or agri-business sales and development.
This person will be the main contact point between the organisation and the college staff and students – they will be responsible for maintaining a close excellent relationship between Macra and the college; this will involve building relationships with college principals and key staff, to include offering services of the organisation and keeping information flowing on progress of implementation of student programmes.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Coordinate promotion of Macra na Feirme to agricultural students and recruitment of students to Macra na Feirme.
- Deliver the Macra na Feirme club model for students in each of the Teagasc courses across all agricultural colleges.
- In conjunction with students develop, a plan and programme of activity for specific college clubs
- Provide fortnightly support, advice and guidance at club meetings during the Teagasc Agricultural Colleges term.
- Support change of officer roles in each club per semester to ensure personal development and leadership opportunities.
- Provide training for elected club officers.
- Develop a representative structure for students to engage and discuss relevant challenges and opportunities with college principles and management.
- Organise an inter colleges competition.
- Link students to Macra na Feirme clubs in their locality when they graduate from agriculture college in conjunction with Macra na Feirme Training and Development Officers.
- Other activities that may arise within the Agricultural program.
- We are looking for an Agricultural Student Development Officer with a strong academic performance – a minimum of a level 8 from an Agricultural Science or equivalent discipline.
- The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, motivated and passionate about the recruitment and development of agricultural students.
- A good understanding of farming and the wider agricultural industry
- Demonstrate an innovative and dynamic approach when working with students.
- Be target and results driven.
- Be willing to learn and develop within the role.
- You must be available to start your role in November 2019.
- Eligibility to work under an Irish contract of employment.
- Relevant work experience is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of membership development or sales roles.
- Excellent verbal, written and digital communications skills are essential.
- Full clean driver’s license, and access to own car as travel Nationwide to all colleges on a regular basis will be necessary.
Why Join us
- We are a dynamic and energetic youth organisation committed to improving the lives of young people with rural connections.
- You will have the opportunity to work in face paced, outcome orientated workplace.
- You will receive a competitive starting salary, along with mobile phone and laptop.
- You will be supported to achieve your personal and career development goals.
- You will be part of a wide community that extends to every corner of Ireland.
- Macra also offers a mix of formal and informal learning opportunities.
Application and selection process
A two page curriculum vitae along with a one page cover letter addressed to the Head of Advocacy, Policy & Membership, outlining your suitability for the role should be submitted by email to email@example.com not later than 12 noon, on Monday, October, 21th.
Candidates may be shortlisted for interview.
Macra na Feirme is an equal opportunities employer.