ASA Mock Interviews UCD – Final Stage B.Agr.Sc. Students – 24 February 2015
24 February 2015
Students Attend ASA Mock Interviews
Almost 100 final year students in the UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science participated in ASA mock interviews held on Tuesday 24 February. The initiative is part of the comprehensive services on career opportunities, job seeking, job application and interview skills provided by the ASA to the next generation of graduates.
Students were given the opportunity to apply for ‘real’ jobs across a wide range of disciplines. The jobs on offer were typical of what are available for agricultural science graduates within the agri-food sector and the wider economy.
Ten panels of ASA members interviewed each student and gave feedback on their letter of application, the quality of their CV and the strengths and weaknesses of their performance at the interview. The ten top-performing students were presented with special awards by ASA President Eoin Lowry at the opening of Careers Day on Wednesday 25 February.
Careers Day 2015, which was organised by the students, was another unqualified success. The event was officially opened by Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Simon Coveney who gave a passionate address on the job prospects for the next generation of graduates. Over 30 companies and organisations, representing the key employers of agricultural science graduates, participated in the event. It is the only event of its kind in UCD and demonstrates the professionalism and ingenuity of students in the School of Agriculture and Food Science.
Great credit is due to the students for a superbly organised event. The ASA is honoured to be a participant in such a worthwhile initiative.
The following ten top-performing students in the mock interviews were presented with ASA awards:
- Alec Perrott, Adare, Co Limerick, Michael McManus, Leitrim village, Co Leitrim, James Taylor, Bunclody, Co Wexford and Angela Ryan, Birr, Co Offaly, all studying Animal and Crop Production.
- Zoe McKay, Ballyfin, Co Laois and Siobhán Ring, Charleville, Co Cork, both studying Animal Science.
- Shaileen McGovern, Mohill, Co Leitrim, who is studying Animal Science – Equine.
- Deborah Stewart, Drum, Co Monaghan and Odile Evans, Arklow, Co Wicklow, both studying Food and Agribusiness Management.
- Shane Loughrey, Crusheen, Co Clare, who is studying Agri-Environmental Science.