ASA Grass based drystock event
As part of its continuing support of the Year of sustainable grassland ASA has organised a grass based drystock event at Teagasc Research Centre Athenry on Wednesday May 24th.
This outdoor event will focus on grassland management and genetics for sheep in the morning. Moving to the Newford farm for the afternoon where grassland management for suckler cows and finishing cattle are the topics presented. Updates of grassland fertiliser recommendations and grass and clover varieties for drystock farms will also be presented. Teas and coffees on arrival and a light lunch will be provided. It will provide a useful update for agricultural consultants, advisers and agribusiness personnel working in the industry.
NOTE: The morning and afternoon session will be held outdoors. Please ensure to wear suitable clothing and footwear. The weather forecast is for sun but please be prepared for rain also.
DATE – 24th May
LOCATION – Teagasc Mellows Campus, Athenry, Co. Galway. Ph: (091) 845 800. Direction below.
FEE – FREE to ASA Members. €50 Non-Members
10.00am – Registration and Coffee, The Clareen Room, Main Building
10.30am – Morning Session (Sheep grassland focus)
Grazing systems for sheep production – Philip Creighton, Teagasc Athenry
Grassland fertiliser – Stan Lalor, Grasslands Agro
Grass (PPI) and clover varieties for drystock – Nicky Bryne
12.30pm – Lunch
1.30pm – Afternoon Session (Beef focus) – Newford Farm
NZ Flock – Fiona McGovern
The performance of the Newford herd, Matthew Murphy, Newford farm manager
Grassland management for suckler cows – Pearse Kelly, Head of KT Drystock
Grass finishing of beef cattle – Christy Watson, Teagasc, Naas
* Parking is available. Please follow directions from staff. Road signage will be in place.
* For google maps Teagasc is noted as Teagasc, Galway Area Advisory Office, Mellows Campus, Athenry, Co. Galway – LINK TO MAP
* Teagasc Mellows Campus is located on the R348 (Derrydonnell-Athenry Road) off the M6.
* From Dublin – Leave M6 at Exit 17 – Proceed to ATHENRY ROUNDABOUT, take 1st exit signposted for Derrydonnell R348. Proceed through the temporary roundabout, at next roundabout take 1st exit signposted R348 in the direction of Derrydonnell, Mellows Campus is located on the right-hand side approx 2km out.
* From South – Take N18 to Oranmore – Proceed onto M6 signposted Dublin – Exit M6 at Exit 17 and proceed as above.
* From North – Follow N17 towards Oranmore. Proceed onto M6 signposted Dublin – Exit M6 at Exit 17 and proceed as above.