Assistant Lecturer – Agricultural Science
This position may be filled in the academic year 2020/2021 on a fixed term basis or part-time hourly basis in accordance with the requirements of the Institutes of Technology Act 2006.
Assistant Lecturer – Agricultural Science
1. Minimum qualifications for appointment to the post on a permanent or contract basis
(a) Appropriate Honours primary degree (second class or higher) in Agricultural Science or equivalent
(b) Three years relevant post graduate experience, i.e. three years relevant experience having gained the qualifications at 1(a) above
Appropriate post-graduate qualification (Masters/Phd)
The Assistant Lecturer will play an active role in the academic direction of courses including teaching, research, academic assessment and academic administration. The appointee should carry out such duties as are assigned by management including but not limited to:-
(a) teaching such assigned classes as deemed appropriate by management of the Institute, day or evening, up to 630 hours per annum including supervision of post-graduate students where appropriate;
(b) carrying out assessment, monitoring and evaluation of examinations work and providing an academic and consultative support to students in their learning activities;
(c) providing academic input on existing and new courses and course development;
(d) engaging in research, consultancy and development work as appropriate;
(e) participating in committees appropriate to courses and meetings convened by management;
(f) maintaining appropriate records and making available information as required by management;
(g) engaging in promotion including student recruitment as appropriate;
(h) participating in development, implementation and maintenance of academic quality assurance arrangements;
(i) participating in appropriate activities necessary to the development of their department / school and the Institute;
(j) directing and supervising the work of Tutor/Demonstrator and taking academic responsibility for the academic standards of this work.
The appointee shall carry out the lawful instructions of the President or Authorized Officer and comply with the requirements and regulations of the Minister for Education and Skills.
The performance of these duties will require attendance in addition to class contact hours during the normal working week.
The salary scale as at 01/9/2019 for an Assistant Lecturer per annum is:
Point 1 €38,138 Point 6 €46,973
Point 2 €40,403 Point 7 €48,335
Point 3 €42,260 Point 8 €49,695
Point 4 €43,926 Point 9 €51,056
Point 5 €45,628 Point 10 €52,403
Assistant Lecturers will progress to the grade of Lecturer on completion of one year’s service after having reached the maximum of the Assistant Lecturer scale subject to a minimum of five years’ continuous service having regard to ability, experience, academic qualifications, scholarship and demonstrated performance.
Possession of an appropriate defined postgraduate qualification or equivalent shall normally be considered an essential requirement.
Institutes may award incremental credit for previous service in the Assistant Lecturer grade in another Institute or University. The Institute may require five years service in the Institute before progression is considered. An Assistant Lecturer with a Ph.D. and relevant research experience may be considered for progression after three years continuous service. If successful such an Assistant Lecturer may be placed on the first point of the lecturer scale and remain on that point until five years service has been established or a vacancy at Lecturer level has occurred.
5. The Interview Process
If invited to interview, applicants will be assessed at the interview under the following criteria
• Experience/Achievements to date
• Communications & Pedagogical Skills
• Professional & Personal Development/Potential
• Knowledge of and interest in Higher Education Sector
• Team Working and Organisational Skills
– In addition, candidates will be invited to make a short presentation on a nominated topic.
6. Citizenship Requirement
Candidates should note that eligibility to compete for posts is open to citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) or to non-EEA nationals with a valid work permit. The EEA consists of the Member States of the European Union along with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Swiss citizens under EU agreements may also apply.
7. IMPORTANT NOTES Application Form:
• Please ensure that full information is given on qualifications etc and that the information is accurate and corresponds to the original transcript of qualifications. Please note that any misstatement will result in disqualification.
• Note the declaration to be ticked at the end of the application form.
• Screening and short-listing takes place only on the basis of information submitted on the official application form.
• There is an appeals process in place whereby applicants can appeal the decision of the screening process within 10 days of the letter advising them of the decision at the screening stage.
• Please ensure that those you nominate as referees are contacted by you and will be able to supply a reference without delay if requested.
• Further information on the Institute is available on the ITT website.
• Latest date for receipt of completed application forms to the Human Resources Office is
12.00 noon on Friday 19th June 2020
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Appointments will be subject to Garda vetting.
• The Institute operates an online recruitment system. All applications must be made via the IT Tralee eRecruitment system.
• Interviews will be held in Tralee.
• The Institute regrets that it cannot pay expenses for candidates attending interviews for this post(s) or for taking up the position, if appointed.
• The information given in this document is of a general information nature only and should not be taken as contractual.
The Human Resources Office, Institute of Technology, Tralee, Co Kerry Telephone: +353 66 714 5613, Fax +353 66 714 5648
Web Site: http://www.ittralee.ie/, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IT Tralee is an Equal Opportunities Employer