Director of Policy/Chief Economist, IFA
Join our team!
The Irish Farmers’ Association (IFA) is the representative organisation for 70,000 farm families throughout the country. Established in 1955, the IFA is acknowledged as the leading farm organisation in Ireland and one of the most successful in Europe. The Association has a well-recognised record of achievement in National & EU farm policy formation and implementation and international trade developments affecting agriculture.
The objectives of IFA are to provide focused leadership for its members thereby improving the living standards of farmers, social conditions, and the quality of rural life generally. The Association promotes the ongoing development and importance of Irish agriculture and food industry in the National economy.
IFA represents farmers in negotiations with Government, the European institutions, food safety and environmental agencies, the farm supply and processing industries and retailers.
Director of Policy/Chief Economist
Senior role within the Irish Farmers’ Association reporting to the Director General. The successful candidate will have many of the high-level responsibilities previously carried out by the Chief Economist, with an enhanced role to lead and co-ordinate policy formulation across the organisation. This position will be based from the Irish Farm Centre, Naas Road in Dublin.
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate national and EU policy proposals
- Partner with IFA National Council and with National Committees to develop IFA policy and strategy
- Partner with IFA’s Director of European Affairs in our Brussels Office to communicate IFA policy to appropriate EU institutions
- Compose and co-ordinate IFA submissions to Government, the EU and other bodies
The successful candidate will:
- Have a third level qualification in economics or a related discipline and a minimum of 5 years’ successful work experience with a proven track record in a relevant role or roles
- Be an outstanding policy analyst with exceptional written skills
- Be a highly proactive self-starter with an ability to work to tight deadlines
- Have a strong knowledge of the workings of the Irish and EU political systems
- Have excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills and a good understanding of agriculture and its importance to the economy
Beef & Sheep Executive (1 ) & Dairy Executive (1)
Reporting to the Director of Policy/Chief Economist, these are two important roles, working with the National Livestock / National Sheep Committees and the National Dairy / National Liquid Milk Committees respectively.
In each role, the responsibilities will be to analyse and report on markets/trends, to develop appropriate policy initiatives and responses and ensure the most effective possible representation for Ireland’s beef and sheep, and dairy farmers. The successful candidates will be based in the Irish Farm Centre, Naas Road in Dublin or one of IFA’s regional offices.
The successful candidates will have:
- Third level qualification in agriculture or another relevant discipline
- Minimum of 3 years’ successful work experience in a relevant role
- Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Good understanding of Irish agriculture and the challenges and opportunities for livestock and sheep farmers, and dairy farmers respectively
If you wish to discuss this role informally please contact Helen 085 7834420 or send your CV & Cover Note to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday 13th July, 2020.