Plant Biologist (BioAtlantis Ltd.)
BioAtlantis are recruiting a plant scientist to investigate the molecular basis of stress mitigation using Super Fifty® technology.
BioAtlantis Ltd., is an Irish science based company that offers a world class portfolio of stress mitigation technologies and plant strengtheners. BioAtlantis has developed Super Fifty®, a unique stress mitigation technology to enhance crop tolerance to abiotic stresses such as drought, heat and cold. This Super Fifty® based technology was recently evaluated and proven at the molecular level as a part of the EU Horizon 2020 project ‘CropStrengthen’. Experts in the field of stress biology have proven that Super Fifty® has the capacity to prime and modulate metabolic pathways in crops, with Super Fifty® pre-treated crops more resilient to abiotic stress events. Crop growers in 35 different countries worldwide are now using this product as an essential tool to improve their crop performance and mitigate against the effects of abiotic stress events.
In recognition of the success of CropStrengthen and the proven efficacy of Super Fifty®, the EU has approved a new Horizon 2020 project called ‘RESIST’. RESIST aims to unravel the genetic determinants of desiccation tolerance in plants and how Super Fifty® based stress mitigation technologies can be used effectively to improve crop yield and performance. This European Innovation and Research Program involves the exchange of early stage or experienced researchers between academic institutions and companies http://resist.cpsbb.eu/index.html. The Research consortium in RESIST consists of BioAtlantis Ltd (Ireland) and a range of universities in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
As part of the RESIST project, BioAtlantis is seeking an experienced Post-Doctoral level researcher to join the R&D wing of the company. He/she will be based at BioAtlantis’ headquarters in Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland and will be responsible for performing the necessary research work. The candidate must spend a 12 month period conducting the R&D work at the Center of Plant Systems Biology and Biotechnology (CPSBB), Bulgaria during the secondment period in the project. The duration of the project is 3 years.
In this exciting role, they will:
- Perform a detailed comparative physiological, biochemical and molecular analysis of abiotic stress responses in model and crop species supplemented with biostimulants.
- Establish a procedure for transformation of crops and desiccation tolerant plant species with altered expression of markers for stress/desiccation tolerance. Further characterise transgenic plants to determine gene functions.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- PhD with an expertise and proficiency in molecular biology, biochemistry and related techniques.
- Experience working in the area of abiotic stress management in crops.
- Ability to perform in-depth molecular biological and physiological experiments.
- Experience with high-throughput RNA/protein workflows, Next Gen sequencing methods and bioinformatics are particularly advantageous.
- Ability to improve existing technologies and bring new solutions.
- Excellent organisational, written and oral communication skills.
This represents an excellent opportunity for a talented and ambitious person to work on technologies aimed at mitigating against the effects of abiotic stresses such as drought and heat- problems that are increasingly relevant as the world comes under increasing threat of climate change and extreme weather events. To apply, please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of applications is the 31st of May, 2019